Sunday, March 23, 2014

Miami Style Map: A Midsummer Night's Dream on the Key.






Meet one of my favorite dresses in my closet. This dress has miles and stories to tell. It has taken me from the streets of the city, through my journey of motherhood, and now to a new chapter in my life. This dress encompasses comfort, confidence, and a carefree 'joie de vivre’ sensibility that can only come from something that is truly cherished. I know I’m getting pretty deep over a prairie dress but everyone has that one (or two) piece from their wardrobe that they can’t live without because it's just meaningful. And this dress, from the H&M Conscious Collection, does that for me.





I love the location Natalie, from Suna Photography, used to shoot this dress. As always, she was on point when it came to capturing the essence and mood of my look. I think it stands out perfectly  in its element. This was also shot on the grounds of Bill Baggs State Park in Key Biscayne. Who would have thought, woods in Miami! The first thought that came to mind (after I oohed and awed a bit) was Robert Frost’s The Road Less Traveled. This is exactly the setting I picture each time I read that poem. Ironically, the poem deals with that paths you choose to take in life and don’t we always find ourselves in a situation where we have to figure out which road to take next.  These shots are ethereal and you can really see the details and femininity of the dress.




I love the lace work and trims on the upper top of the dress. There's a sort of quaint characteristic in those small details. The soft ivory color against my eclectic collection of bracelets gives the look a hint of character and a fun mirror into my personality. 



No dress of mine is complete without a pair of boots underneath. It's my way of rejecting a 'too girly' vibe and giving it some of that freshly squeezed and rugged flavor I like when I convey my style mood. I love my Troopa boots because they're all beat up from love and probably snowstorms. And I don't care. I'll wear them until they have holes in them.





I've been really digging the flower crown/headband trend lately. I'm probably late on that trend, but my philosophy, as I've gotten older and style wiser, is that if something doesn't work for me, I'm not going to buy into it. This I like, but in moderation. You won't see me with a full blown flower arrangement on my head. But how pretty does this dusty blush flower headband from Haute Blossom (a local Miami vendor) look with this boho dress? I feel like one of the fairies in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. The whole outfit just feels graceful.



On Me:

Dress- H&M

Boots- Steve Madden
Headband- Haute Blossom

In Style,


Kat

No comments :

Post a Comment