Thursday, March 20, 2014

Miami Style Map: Shining Bright in the Tropics.

Every once in a while, it's fun to play tourist in your hometown. There are so many undiscovered gems that repeatedly get overlooked simply because they become part of your everyday landscape and you often don't give them a second glance. We take for granted some of the cultural pleasures hidden right in our backyard that are just waiting to be rediscovered and reloved. After 12 years of living in the city and coming back to Miami, I feel like I've landed on new territory. One of my goals while I dive into my Floridian citizenship, is to reconnect with my hometown and reacquaint myself with all the places that not only stir up feelings of carefree nostalgia, but to recapture some of that innocence that usually comes with seeing something new and exciting for the first time. Today I did just that. 



When I was a little girl, I used to spend my weekends on the beaches of Key Biscayne. My mom and I would head to Crandon Park, pack up ham and cheese sandwiches, which would later get soggy and sandy (but still magically delicious) from being out in the sun, and eat them on our towels while we lounged in the sand bars and doused our hair with Sun-In. These are some of my favorite childhood memories of growing up in Miami. The funny thing is that even after going to Key Biscayne so frequently, I never once visited the beautiful lighthouse that still stands at the end of the key (inside the Bill Baggs State Park). But this afternoon, the tourist in me, got to experience that shining beacon (actually, it's under repair) in all it's glory. Nestled amongst palm trees blue skies and tranquil beaches, the lighthouse was such a breathtaking presence that I stood there, mouth agape (hashtag tourist), snapping pictures and just repeating, "wow. This is insane. I can't believe there's a lighthouse here." It was constructed in 1825, rebuilt in 1846, and it's considered the oldest standing structure in the state. Who knew? (not me).

And I love that our photo shoot took place on the grounds of the park thanks to my brilliant photographer, Natalie (one half of Suna Photography) who picked this spot to snap my very lively and colorful one piece stunner! Natalie did my maternity sessions a couple of years ago and I've been a big fan of her work and creative vision since. She has a very organic and easy going shooting style that's clearly noticeable in her photographs. Just take a look for yourself! 






Well hello, jumpsuit! If this one piece tropical sensation doesn't scream "It's Summer!", then you're visually deaf. 
Spring and summer are all about color, color, and more color and this strapless jumper is definitely not lacking in that department. It's dramatic, it's dynamic, and it's fun. 

Since my move to Miami, I'm incorporating some more playful hues into my wardrobe- breaking up the black a bit (though never to be given up) and when I saw this tropical motif one piece at Cheap n' Chic Boutique on Bird, I fell head over heels in love. It's sheer vibrancy caught my eye. 





I love the sweetheart neckline on this piece and love how the fabric loosely drapes across my chest. The fabric belt accentuates my small waistline, which after having a baby, I'm always happy to flaunt.



As to not to take away from the jumper, I kept the accessories minimal. My fuchsia earrings are from my favorite street vendor in the city. I score some one of a kind pieces from the same guy on 17th and 5th. I pulled my hair up in a messy top knot and love the color contrast of my natural brunette tresses and the last of my honey ombre. I think it goes well with the pretty beachy vibe of the outfit. We have to talk about the lips. This bright orange shade is called Magnifique (and magnifique it is) courtesy of Chanel. 




One of my favorite things about this whole look is the shoes. I went with something completely unexpected and paired this floral frock with my faux snakeskin platform heels. Instead of playing it safe with a nude or a black heel, go bolder. 



On Me:

junpsuit- Mustard Seed (from Cheap n' Chic boutique)
Heels- Steve Madden
Earrings- Street Vendor 

In Style, 


Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment