Friday, January 29, 2016

NY Style Map: NY Is The City That Made Me



Every couple of months or so, I come around the blog and drop some mad love to my favorite city in the world (Don't worry, Miami. I still love you). Some of you love reading about my city love story, some of you may roll your eyes- probably because you can't relate to my incessant NY obsession that never dies. Nonetheless, these 'once upon a time' odes I often feel the need to express about the city I once called home, is simply a way to feel and stay connected. It's a part of me, a part of who I am, that I love to acknowledge and thank- because I give the city (and some other special people) a huge amount of credit for making me the person that I am today on every level. I'm reminded everyday through my character, my determination, my no bullshit attitude, and my bullet-proof self-esteem, that I was and still am part of that magical landscape. New York builds you up, tears you down, and builds you right back up stronger than ever. And it has served me wonders here in the Magic City. 

How many people can echo Frank's 'If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere' sentiment with assurance and say "I made it?" I can. I came. I saw. I conquered. And then some. Maybe I wasn't ready to leave, but I walked away from the experience with more life lessons and memories than My Space, Facebook, and my IPhone Photo Library could hold. And I'm so thankful! Now I get to share that obsession and that love with my little ones. I love showing Maya all the wonders of the city each time we go back. I show her where mommy went to school. I show her where mommy took the bus or the train to go to work in the big, awesome buildings that reach the sky. We have tea at our favorite neighborhood tea shop and walk to Central Park and pick from an assortment of playgrounds to spend our afternoon. I tell her how mommy met daddy in the greatest city in the world and we fell in love. And I tell her that there's no such thing as an impossible dream and that there's nothing she can't do. Because I did it. And for that, I'm proud and eager to boast. 

NY is the city that made me. 



On our last visit to the city, I met up with one of my favorite ladies and photographers, Kim Mancuso (http://www.kimmancusophotography.com/index2.php), for a quintessential photo shoot where else- Times Square. Now understand this- Times Square is the place you avoid like the plague when you live in Manhattan. You make the obligatory trip to midtown when your friends and family visit, and you swear you'll never go back until the next forced family vacation. But there's just something about Times Square that gets under your skin. Because it is pretty cool, let's face it. It's even cooler on a bright and early Sunday when there's just a few people walking around taking photos or grabbing cabs. It stands in all it's glory without all the tourists, or without the bells and whistles that usually occupy it at all hours of the day. Almost 13 years in the city, and this was one of the few times I actually stopped to enjoy Times Square. How very NY with it's big city lights, vibrant energy, and air of endless possibilities. 

And it's a pretty epic place to shoot some amazing photos like these! 



After seeing these awesome photos, I almost feel like Times Square stole the show! I had to show it up with a fabulous outfit- and I brought my A-game for this one. I love a menswear look with a touch of lady-like accents. This black and white bow blouse from H&M is everything right now, and it has the versatility to be worn with just about any piece. I love wearing it with high-waisted jeans, my black trouser jumpsuit, and even leather culottes. However, for this particular post, I paired it with a black lace floral skirt for a more feminine approach. 

I added a pop of color with the mustard tights and my leopard print coat for contrast. All the mixed textures, prints, and styles work collectively to showcase my ultra contemporary 'woman on top' look. Add a faux fur vest to the equation, and you can't go wrong! 

I accessorized with my favorite hat of the moment from Goorin Bros (hello, London Sparkles), and patent leather oxfords. But my favorite accessory is by far the stack of woven jeweled bracelets from Albadora Jewelry out of New York (follow them on Instagram @albadorajewelry). I love how the pale blue and silver arm candy looks against the leopard coat and black skirt. Same goes for the unique chandelier earrings. 

I'm getting all sorts of happy feels as we near another season of Fashion Week! I'm looking forward to some good ol' production work, seeing friends, and reuniting with the city I love! 





On Me: 

Blouse- H&M
Skirt- H&M
Vest- Victoria's Secret
Tights- Hue 
Oxfords- Ivanka Trump
Hat- Goorin Bros 
Coat- Guess 

In Style, 

Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment