Monday, November 10, 2014

Getting The Downtown Tartan Look With a Little Help From My Friends at Zappos.com



Every season, there's a resurgence of past trends that seem to creep up and affectionately win the hearts of their stylish counterparts. Some of these trends never really die. They go away for a little while (or a fashion minute), hibernate and then- poof! - they're back in bolder and re-imagined patterns and silhouettes that make you believe they're the new kids on the block. 

This fall, designers were mad for plaid. Yes- that iconic 90's trend, originally packaged with a grunge affinity and gothic flair thanks to a little known Seattle band named Nirvana, and re-introduced by McQueen, is back in full force in mixed variations. I do love a good tartan print. Not even a lifetime of Catholic school uniforms of the same blue plaid pattern could turn me off to the classic style. As a teenager in the 90's, if it's one thing I obsessed over while watching the cult-favorite, Clueless, it was how I wish I owned Cher's black and yellow plaid blazer and skirt combo. Sigh. 

Plaid is not limited to a punk wardrobe and that's what makes it such a loved pattern. Its versatility ranges anywhere from straight-laced prep to rugged mountain chic. And while plaid may be the unofficial print that rings in the chillier months and holiday festivities, it's a pattern that can be worn year round. I'm a sucker for tartan, which is evident in the 10 plus flannels that hang in my closet. Despite that,  the last time I owned anything plaid that wasn't a flannel shirt, I was a freshman in high school. Almost 20 years later,  it was time to conquer the plaid.  



My tartan adventures were made possible by my friends at Zappos.com (http://zapwow.me/HVgg). The opportunity to partner up with a revolutionary company like Zappos, was a dream.  I've shopped on Zappos for years, mostly picking up some great pairs of shoes.  Little did I know that Zappos carries hundreds of collection from well-known designers, some of whom show during Fashion Week. The product assortment ranges from handbags, and eye wear to hats and clothing and everything in between. That's all great, but without a doubt, the best part about Zappos is exceptional customer service and the free shipping!

So in partnership with Zappos.com, I wanted to put my own spin on the whole 'downtown tartan' conversation. My street style tends to be a mix of city girl meets boho glam. I'm big on over-sized tees and blouses, feminine frocks with tough accessories, boots and loafers, and edgy pieces that still possess a girlish undertone. I love leather jackets and I love black, and I love them even more when they're paired.




Now let's go to the star of the show- the outfit, which is my own interpretation of downtown tartan. Because I love dresses, I picked out this blue and black plaid button down shirt dress by BB Dakota (http://zapwow.me/HVgc). Don't listen to those outdated rules, blue and black work together just beautifully, especially in a plaid print. This shirt dress is the epitome of comfort. It's over-sized without looking like a sack and I love the collar because the dress lends itself to layering. I could throw it over a sweater- think chunky black, grey, or even a graphic print- next time I wear it and show off a totally different look. 

I wanted to layer the dress with something that had some 'rough and tough' credibility and this sleeveless faux leather vest from Calvin Klein (http://zapwow.me/HVgd) added the right amount of edge to the look. This vest is a wardrobe staple. It's a great layering piece and easy to throw on over a dress or a casual tee. I love how it pairs with the plaid. And lastly, the piece de resistance as I like to refer to them, the shoes. The pop of white from these two-toned oxfords by Sam Edelman (http://zapwow.me/HVgf) brightens up the mood of the look with its clean lines and sharp design.  Plus the 'borrowed from the boys' feel sold me. 



This is the quintessential fall outfit for Miami weather and our shooting location played well with the checkered plaid and the menswear touches. But let's state the obvious, this parking garage makes my outfit look even cooler. I have to talk about this unbelievable parking structure that served as our backdrop. I can't take the credit for the location- that honor goes to photographer, Elizabeth, of Ra-Haus Fotografie (www.ra-haus.com). I have her to thank for this out of this world photo shoot. Her creative vision needs no questioning. 
The view from the seventh floor of the parking lot (1111 Lincoln Road) boasts some pretty spectacular city views of Miami Beach. It's modern and muted and the unique design of the structure lets the tartan trend sit front and center. The hair comes a close second. Big thanks to Blo Bar in Brickell for my 'pillow talk' hair! (http://www.blomedry.com/locations/blo-brickell/)

Do you like what you see? Well, you can shop the items by clicking on the links! Take a walk on the plaid side and try it out for yourself! Because you need this look in your closet.

And remember, free shipping!

 How do YOU rock your tartan? 


On Me (You can buy this look on zappos.com http://zapwow.me/HVgg)

- BB Dakota Dress- http://zapwow.me/HVgc

- Calvin Klein Faux Leather Vest- http://zapwow.me/HVgd

- Sam Edelman Oxfords- http://zapwow.me/HVgf


In Style, 

Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment