Sunday, July 27, 2014

Stripped Down: FSF's Swim Week Round Up!


Mercedes Benz Swim Week has come to a close and my head is still spinning with images of two pieces, caftans, and wild, messy beach hair. I went to more shows and parties than a D-list celebrity would dare to admit (all in the name of work, of course), and perused a plethora of backstage hair and makeup preparations hoping someone would mistake me for a swimsuit model. I sat front row and saw some really fun and colorful presentations and I witnessed some pretty unoriginal ones too. Next. 

But amidst model-gawking, people-watching, and hurricane tracking, I managed to not only have a a fantastic time covering another beachy-bustling fashion week, but also took some notes on my top 5 shows so I could share with you- my amazing freshly squeezed fans! 

So without further ado, I bring you the hits- in no particular order. 




Clover Canyon
Thanks to hurricane force winds and rain, the Clover Canyon Swim presentation became more of an intimate affair inside the Raleigh Hotel penthouse, allowing for an up close and personal look at the bevy of models sporting the South American inspired designs. Showing for the first time in Miami, the swimwear collection was a vision in neoprene, where the iconic expressionist prints that make Clover Canyon a fashionista favorite, were in full effect. The spaghetti-strap one pieces in bright florals were at the top of my list, but it was the uber-chic pool slip-on sandals also decked in the line's kaleidoscopic graphic designs, that stole my heart. I need a pair in my life. 



Mara Hoffman
Someone pack my bags because after sitting front row at the Mara Hoffman show, I'm ready for a trip to Guatamela! Rich tribal prints, gorgeous shapes, and vibrant colors were on hand on every swimsuit in this vibrant collection.  Even beach cover ups, like the harem jumper one pieces, were sporting the classic Mara silhouettes, that are perfect for poolside cocktails or beachfront dining. Let's not forget the high-waisted bottoms she sent down the runway- proving the old age adage, 'the higher the better.' 



6 Shore Road 
I knew this show was going to be a crowd-pleaser the moment I stepped backstage. Warrior princess-inspired braids and makeup, and even traditional nose rings, were all part of 6 Shore Road's Nepali based creations. Bright watercolor florals and mandala geometric shaped prints were splashed all over stand-out bikinis and one pieces with just the right amount of coverage. Cutouts, a big trend this season, allowed for hints of sexy to peek through on some of the looks. Tassels were also the accessory 'du jour' as they were seen on colorful beach bags and cover-ups. 



Wildfox
Give me a good Salt-N-Peppa track, and I'm solid. Now add TLC, Mariah Carey and swimsuits with 90's iconography to that fashion playlist, and you got yourself a winning combination. The Wildfox swim show was an epic 90's throwback with pastel and neon bikinis, high top Reeboks, and even some high leg one piece suits with zipper detailing. A terry cloth suit, even made an appearance on the runway, along with traditional Wildfox pieces like boho-chic maxi dresses and rompers. This is one dance party you don't want to miss. 



Mikoh
Nothing gets a crowd going like a good opening number. California-based brand, Mikoh, kicked off their swim presentation with a trio of Tahitian Hula dancers that lead the way for a sleek and modern collection. The bold yet minimalist designs are effortlessly chic and designed with that strong and beautiful surfer girl in mind. Unique prints, like a black and white palm print seen on both a bandeau top and loose-fitting pants, coexisted organically with bold solid colored suits. But the piece de resistance-a fierce black rubber neoprene wetsuit that might just take you out of your swimsuit comfort zone. 

** IMAGES BY ELIZABETH OF www.ra-haus.com **


In Style, 

Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment