Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Miami Style Map: Kicking off the First Day of Fall in Forever 21


Today kicks off the official first day of fall. Now, that doesn't mean much if you're in Miami. It's still a balmy 90 degrees here in South Florida and the only sign of autumn vegetation is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. But that won't stop me from enjoying the fruits of fall fashion in the Miami heat. Sometimes we get lucky, and global warming throws us a couple of 50 degree days for a chance to dust off those old sweaters and suede booties and drink hot chocolates. 

I have a penchant for all thing tights, leather jackets, boots, and hats. Basically fall is my season. When you grow up in an eternal summer, then move away and experience climate change and a wardrobe other than bathing suits and flip flops, it's a pretty dynamic experience. Not everyone likes the cold and I get that.  Some people are happy being summer-obsessed Olafs and dream of perpetual blazing temperatures year round. I dream of fingerless gloves and cozy knits and lots and lots of tights! 

But what's great about summer pieces is that some of them can be salvaged and reused for the fall. There is no seasonal expiration date on clothes when you have the right tools to update them. And just because you live down South (or anywhere where the heat index doesn't register below 75) doesn't mean you can try your hand at some great fall looks! 



During my excursion to the beautiful Fairchild Tropical Gardens with my photographer, Liz,  I couldn't help and be inspired by all the lush greenery and richness of the grounds. Yet, somehow amidst this tropical paradise, all I kept thinking was about how pretty this fall look would photograph in one of their greenhouses. It's a bit of a juxtaposition, I get that, but the way the light captures these images and the femininity of this outfit are just dreamy and season-less.

I told you this lace and tulle skirt would be making the rounds on my blog. I find it so effortless and classic. I played with muted colors, which is usually not my palette du jour, but fashion is about trying new things and taking some unexpected jumps along the way. 
This mauve crop top pairs nicely with the ivory of the skirt and the tousled hair (hello faux bangs). The brown felt hat adds to that bohemian girl next door appeal. And brown is definitely not a color you'll find in my wardrobe. But I do like what this hat brings the table. 

A good-quality leather jacket is a must-have in any woman's closet. It can transform any outfit's mood instantaneously. It's not just restricted for evenings but a great day to day staple to get you transitioning through the seasons. And I love me a leather jacket over a dress! Is there anything sexier?! There's a reason it's such a classic and it just feels and looks rock n' roll without even trying. 



I was going for 'chunky' when it came down to accessorizing this look along with a bold statement necklace and not one, but two arm candies to savor. I wanted to really play up the stones and beads. Even my Turkish earrings added a hint of gypsy flavor in the accessories department including a very unique double band pinky ring that's been quite the conversation starter (thanks Jaime Nicole)! 

Squeezers! Get fall inspired. Don't put away all your summer stuff just yet. Revamp some of your favorites with some fall add-ons- a cute pair of boots a jean jacket or even a great hat-  and poof! You got a new fall wardrobe to enjoy with that pumpkin spice latte!



On Me: 

Top- Forever 21
Skirt- Forever 21
Necklace- Forever 21
Hat- Forever 21
Leather Jacket- Pink by Victoria Secret 
Earrings- from Turkey
Bracelets- Jaimie Nicole Jewelry 
Boots- Free People 
Purse- Forever 21

In Style, 

Kat 

1 comment :