Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Bloggers, Fashion, and Art Make a Statement at Fashion Happy Hour

Illustration artist, Melanie Patterson, setting up her sketches and designs.

Live Sketches by artist, Anna Kristina 
I had the pleasure of hosting last week's Fashion Happy Hour at LMNT Arts in Wynwood and it was just another fabulous excuse to get all gussied up and mingle with some amazing vendors and talented fashion bloggers. I'm a big fan of Fashion Happy Hour and what it represents and to have the honor of hosting was icing on the cake. It's a great opportunity to see what local businesses are up to and to get to experience new trends  up close and personal in a fun and fashionable setting!

I love how unique and versatile each of these monthly events are set up. This past week we had everything from live sketching, to a candy bar, to a customized photo booth and even free manicures! There really is something for everyone to enjoy. As host, I got to meet each of the vendors and check out their merchandise and talk to them a little bit about their line and what they offer. I can't wait to share that with you. 

But first, let me take a selfie! 




A big 'bow down' thank you to my glam squad, Jessie and Ana from Makeup Artistry by Jessie, for transforming me from after school mom to fab fashionista, for my big event. I am never disappointed when I stand up from that chair because they know exactly what I like and what works for me. I wanted a smokey eye look with a high bun with a bow and they delivered flawlessly. Let's not forget that updos are a great way to beat the heat (it's August in Miami, people. A frizzy hair death sentence) and you don't need a formal occasion to rock them. 

The ballerina-like bun was inspired by the outfit. Here's another striped top I've added to my ever-growing collection (seriously, you would think I run a maritime business with the amount of stripes I own) and I paired it with my obsession of the moment, a lace and tulle skirt. Very feminine wouldn't you say? Then if you know me and you are familiar with my style, it needs a little edge. In comes the fishnets because I'm jonesing for some sort of tights weather, and my studded boots and voila! I have added the Kathy touch to finish off this look. 

Can we talk about this sick leopard cluth/shoulder bag?! Yes, a two in one and a bang for my buck! It's from the new InStyle for Nine West collection and I'm all sorts of in love with it. I've been on the hunt for an evening leopard bag for some time and always run into two problems- either it's bad quality and cheap, or it's uber expensivo. Not this one since it's almost a BOGO special. 

And a big shout out to resident photographer, Erika Nelly, for never rolling her eyes when I asked her to snap pics of me and my friends! She did it with a smile on her face and in return, I get to share all these awesome images with you through my post! 

Everything from handmade bracelets to cover-ups and bikinis at the DFL booth at Fashion Happy Hour 

Color and statement pieces like these are trends we will continue to see for fall

Handmade Jewelry from the Plum Flower Creations
Hosting Fashion Happy Hour is not just about looking pretty and smiling for the camera. It's about letting the audience get a peek into your closet by using these great brands to style a model and in turn, show off your style. But it wasn't just me! I had the good fortune of introducing four other very talented Miami bloggers who also had the chance to style their own models (Models were provided by beauty and modeling school D.A.M.A) and showcase their personal style to all the guests in attendance. 

My model was Stephanie and she was game for anything! I wanted to do something a little different and classic but with a twist. It was at the other end of the spectrum of what I normally wear but I wanted to challenge myself with neutrals. I wish I had a little bit more to work with clothing wise but we made it happen. I opted for a cream linen dress with gold zipper hardware (from DFL) and took it up a notch with accessories. I wanted big and chunky so I layered two statement gold necklaces from CH Accessories. The magazine print box clutch was also from CH. I gave Stephanie simple but edgy ear cuffs as well as a ring chain from Plum Flower Creations to jazz up her hands. For this look, accessories were the key players in channeling my message. 




What I really loved about the experience was getting to meet some of the other bloggers and see first hand how they expressed their style personality through their models. I think it's such a positive and awe-inspiring feeling to know how each blogger has their own interpretation of style shaped and formed by their experiences, the world around them, and who they are as human beings. That's what I love about blogging and fashion. I love that there is room for everyone because everyone brings something different to the table. Sure, we may all own the same white t-shirt or cut off jean shorts, but we each wear them in our own way and with our own attitude. And I love that! There's no room for weeds here because every fashion flower is growing and doing its own thing with support and encouragement from one another. 

From left: Poise from Styled with Poise, Reesa from Mod Max Glam, Lauren from The Fashionista's Diary, Kathy from Freshly Squeezed Fashionista, and Rebecca from The City Slicker's Blog

Keep blooming my Squeezers! And don't forget to visit some of these great vendors for some new pieces to add to your wardrobe. Maybe you can wear them to the next Fashion Happy Hour! 

On Me: 

- Outfit from Forever 21
- Shoes- Free People
- Purse- Nine West
- Necklace- Zara 


Photos provided by: Erika Nelly Photography www.erikanelly.com. Follow her on Instagram @ErikaNellyPhotography and Twitter @ErikaNelly_ 

In Style, 

Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment