Monday, June 9, 2014

Miami Style Map: Fish Braids and Florals


There was once a time when mega department store chain, JCPenney, was simply an afterthought or a means to a shortcut during a trip to the mall. The clothes never really spiked my interest as anything creative or unique, falling victim to designs more suited for inhabitants of retirement communities or out of touch soccer moms. 

Then something pretty ingenious happened. JCPenney had a fashion epiphany. In came designer collaborations from some of the industry's most sought after luminaries like Nanette Lepore, Nicole Miller, and The Olsen Twins. Even Canada's leading retailer, Joe Fresh, wanted a piece of the JCPenney pie. Soon, clothing racks stood out in visions of florals and neon, tailored dresses and matching sets made cameos during their respective seasons, and denim went well beyond mom jeans. 

JCPenney got cool. 

And while many shoppers haven't caught on to Penney's reinvention, well, I've been paying attention. Just take a look at this Nicole Miller blouse I scored on a recent shopping expedition. I fell in love with the vibrant colors- the lavenders and lemon green shades that make this top just pop, pop, pop! 

Paired with a classic yet modernized black and white striped skirt, the top's lively print takes center stage. 


The rest of this outfit is all about the details, down to the pink lips (an ode to my momma). I accessorized with a bright yellow statement necklace from Stella and Dot to compliment the top. 




And not only does my photographer Natalie work it behind the lens, she can do a sick fish braid on the spot. Why can't I figure out how to master this braid?! Seriously, when I attempt this, I look like I have a rat's nest on my head. Thank goodness for Natalie's Beauty School of America techniques because I'm obsessing over this braided look. 


Oh, and you know I had to mix it up even further with my leopard slip ons. The more prints the merrier. And I never forget to keep it very freshly squeezed with my signature 'arm'-or!

On Me: 

Top- Nicole Miller for JCPenney
Skirt- Rachel Roy for Macys
Slip ons- Steve Madden
Necklace- Stella and Dot
Watch- Casio


In Style, 

Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment