Sunday, March 30, 2014

Miami Style Map: 50 Years of Flipper and Fashion




When you think Miami Seaquarium, you think Flipper, you think sharks, and you think of that geodesic sea lion dome that has become an iconic South Florida landmark. And this year marks the 50th anniversary of Flipper! Here's some trivia for you. Did you know that the Miami Seaquarium is the oldest aquarium in the United States? And did you also know that the TV show, Flipper, was filmed at the aquarium for a good four years? Besides housing thousands of species of sea life, the aquarium boasts some pretty groovy architecture that dates back to when it was originally built in the mid 1950's. It remains fairly untouched (aside from structural updates through the years). 


The Seaqaurium happens to be one of my favorite attractions in Miami. I came often with school and with my parents and I can still recall the excitement and anticipation of sitting in those bleachers (just close enough) waiting for Lolita the Killer Whale to splash the audience with one single jump. I recently took my two year old to visit the aquarium for the first time, but we didn't make it past the dolphin tank at the entrance of the park. Instead, she tripped and fell as she was running towards the dolphins and we spent the rest of the afternoon getting stitches at a local hospital. Needless to say, I plan to return soon and this time with a helmet and some knee pads. 


The inspiration to shoot at this location came from my tropical motif shorts. The print has an island retro feel to it and my photographer, Natalie, thought the aquarium would be the perfect backdrop to capture this look. I love this outfit. Besides being ridiculously comfortable, it's island chic without being too literal. I love the way it pops against the mid-century arches inside the park. 




I paired the shorts with a lace crop top and a boater hat (both from H&M). I like that the top is loose and the details of it don't get lost with the shorts. Instead, each piece stands out equally. Plus, this lace crop top hides my tiny muffin top well. Mission accomplished. 





They have these circular shaded seating areas around the aquarium and I think they're so mod! I love the way Natalie photographed my hat and the rest of the look. Feels very symmetric! 



I couldn't resist a few shots on the boardwalk and with this outfit it was a must. I have to mention the rest of the details that complete this look. You can easily wear this outfit with a pair of metallic sandals or even something with a bit of color, like green or coral. I chose to wear mine with my Minnetonka ankle slip ons. It really feels like I'm not wearing any shoes. The fuchsia earrings are from a local street vendor in Manhattan. 


If you want to spend an afternoon getting up close and personal with sea lions, dolphins, or flamingos, come to the Miami Seaquarium. It's bound to bring out the kid in you. And it's a good excuse to bust out that Hawaiian shirt you've been secretly dying to wear again since Halloween. 






On Me:

Shorts- Forever 21

Crop top- H&M
Hat- H&M
Shoes- Minnetonkas
Earrings- Street Vendor
Necklace- Brooklyn Charm 

In Style, 


Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment