Tuesday, February 18, 2014

New York Fashion Week Round Up! Day 5 (My day 3)



Monday brought a new round of shows and backstage interviews at Tommy Hilfiger and Kenneth Cole. I wore my producer hat for Extra TV and hit the cold ground running to capture two very different design styles but with one common thread- Keep stylishly warm. Let's kick it off with Tommy Hilfiger, which I have to say, was one of my favorite shows. First thing is first, the set design. Tommy is never one to let his invitees down. Last season, he brought the beach to the masses and this season he brought the mountains. A ski lodge amidst a backdrop of snowy mountains and fir trees, transformed the usually sterile and industrial Park Avenue Armory into a winter wonderland, which was easy to imagine considering the blistering cold and accumulating snowfall plaguing New York City. I almost tackled one of the models for her shearling coat. 


 Welcome to Tommy's ski lodge.


Tommy brought the grunge to his usually casual Americana look. While it was still casual, the mix of cozy knits, with flannels, plaid, and fleece blended the outdoors with some bohemian flare, and traditional westernized elements. His signature all American references like patchwork denim, and colored puffer coats were still very much present in some of the looks. The combination of knits and texturized tartan shift dresses layered underneath these warm, rich bombers and coats, felt adventurous while still feeling polished and put together. But what I loved most was how he successfully blended boho grunge blanket dresses with other rugged pieces like knitted sweaters and leather. The splash of orange in many of the looks was a great visual touch. 











 Image from Style.com

Image from Style.com

Next stop on the fashion express was the Kenneth Cole show, where social media was front and center on the catwalk. Backstage before the show, Cole talked to Extra (me!) about how social media is at the forefront of how we view fashion and how we conduct our lives and how we want to show ourselves to the world. This was hilariously captured by a short video starring Alan Cummings and Rachel Dratch, and showed the two friends trying to one up each other on their social media feeds lying about their un-glamourized social life. The two strutted down the runway during the show's finale. Which begs the question asked, What's real and what's for show? 


I was seriously swooning at all the menswear inspired looks I got to see backstage and on the runway. The inspiration for Cole's fall collection was the urban gypsy, focusing on the urban individual and their dynamic lifestyle in the city. The clothes are well constructed and refined. 




We still saw many of the best sellers that have made Kenneth Cole a household name, like leather jackets and shearling coats. But we also saw a lot more rich fabrics and colors like burgundy, charcoal, and red. And to my delight, hats, hats, and more hats made an appearance on most of the looks. And layering is a key rule in mixing all these pieces to not only stay ridiculously chic and warm, but it's also an opportunity to marry different textures you normally wouldn't pair together. 









And while I did not strut my stuff on the runway, I do want to share my OOTD with my fellow fashionistas! (I guess I got my Kenneth Cole menswear memo)



On Me:

Bow tie top- Forever 21
Military jacket- Forever 21
mustard jeans- Forever 21
Boots- Steve Madden
Hat- Hat Attack 
Hobo bag- Marc by Marc Jacobs 

In Style, 

Kat

No comments :

Post a Comment