Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Le Mariniere.



The nautical trend is one of those trends that always makes an appearance season after season in some variation. If you're a Floridian, that trend never takes a back seat. But you can always count on it. It's timeless.

So while flipping through the February issue of InStyle, the 'Le Mariniere' spread really caught my eye because there was one thing obviously missing from it- the color red. Most nautical trends showcase an element of red, whether it be a shoe, a bag, even trousers. It's almost expected. But not this particular look. The emphasis was on navy and white and more subdued neutrals. I decided to give it my own twist on a recent blogger brunch in the design district with the lovely Netty, aka Fashionable ESQ. And a big THANK YOU to her for capturing these lovely shots! 


Take a hard look at my striped sweater. What if I told you it's a maternity sweater? It's true. Almost two years after having Maya, I am still using it. I love the way it fits and how it looks as a layered piece and I really don't care if it belongs in my pregnancy closet. It works great in the here and now. I wore this over a dotted jean top and navy blue sailor shorts with (gold hardware buttons). I added a statement necklace for some sparkle and to rev up the muted color palette in the rest of the outfit. 






I focused on keeping my handbag and shoes neutral. I love this crossbody bag. I found it at a vintage shop on Queens Street West in Toronto while I was on location for the film festival (TIFF) and it has gotten so much wear. Crossbody handbags are a staple in the city. They're manageable and easy everyday bags, especially when you have a kid or when you have to wear over a heavy coat. And because they're so practical, I've incorporated them into my day to day in Miami as well. 




 Bang! Spice up an outfit with a bit of color. Make it an accessory. For me, that piece was a watch and my arm candy. 



On Me:


Striped sweater- Destination Maternity

Denim blouse- J.Crew
Navy Shorts- Forever 21
Oxfords- Steve Madden
Necklace- Forever 21
Sunnies- Forever 21
Crossbody- Vintage 

In Style,


Kat 

No comments :

Post a Comment